We know well that foodies cannot stay away from good food yet there are always spoilers like high sugar, cholesterol, etc. that threaten you. Well, there is always a way if you have a strong will.
Try some tofu kebabs! A mouth-watering delicacy which will also promote a healthy cholesterol balance in your body! If there is going to be a fight with health issues, why not make it ‘yummilicious’!!
Ingredients (All that you will need!)
- Small new potatoes - 8
- Button onions or shallots - 8
- Tomato puree - 2 table spoons
- Light soy sauce - 2 table spoons
- Sunflower oil - 1 table spoon
- Clear honey - 1 table spoon
- Whole grain mustard - 1 table spoon
- Firm smoked tofu, cut into cubes - 300 grams
- Peeled and sliced courgette - 1
- De-seeded and diced red pepper - 1
*You can make your own combination to your kebab, the choice is yours!
How To Cook? (You’ll Definitely Be Drooling All The Way)
- First, add the button onions or shallots to a bowl. Cover this with boiling water and then set aside for 5 minutes.
- Take another pan of boiling water and cook the potatoes in it for 7 minutes or until they are tender. Drain the excess water and pat dry the tender potatoes.
- Now, we have to make a marinade for tofu. For this, Add soy sauce, tomato puree,
sunflower oil, honey, seasoning and mustard in a bowl, and stir well. Add tofu and allow to marinade at least for 10 minutes.
- Next, heat the grill for making the kebabs.
- Drain water and peel the shallots. Again cook them for 3 minutes in boiling water and drain.
- Now, you need to thread the tofu, potatoes, shallots, pepper and courgette (zucchini) onto the skewers (8 X 20 cm works best). Grill for 10 minutes. Make sure you turn the skewers frequently and also keep brushing with the left over marinade while grilling. This must be done just before you need to serve the tofu kebabs.
Why choose Tofu Kebabs?
In present times, work stress and unhealthy eating have increased the occurrence of high cholesterol in individuals. High cholesterol leads to health risks such as heart attacks and stroke. The following risks are often associated with high cholesterol:
- Heart attacks due to clogging of coronary arteries
- Stroke due to blockage of artery carrying blood to the brain
- Chest pain
- Numbness in the legs
- Blood in stools
- Plaque build-up
- Gallstones due to bile imbalance caused by high cholesterol
- Pain in the jaw
Cholesterol moves via lipoproteins in the bloodstream and in the process, deposits in the blood vessels. This narrows the area available for the passage of blood. This deposition occurs due to too much LDL (low density lipo-protein) accumulation in the body and lack of sufficient HDL (high density lipo-protein, which is good cholesterol). This condition makes the arteries develop plaque on their walls, which is basically hardened cholesterol and fat mixture. Tofu and soy have a high amount of HDL and is hence a cholesterol fighting food. Therefore, their consumption helps maintain body cholesterol balance and keeps you healthy.
Never thought of cooking with tofu? This recipe will surely bring out the devil in you with this low fat option of vegetarian kebabs. Your tummy and body will thank you!